Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Laundry Affair

So last week I realized it was time to take care of some serious cleaning... this included a massive amount of laundry.

Taylor is pretty good at washing his clothes. He has practice or workouts pretty much everyday... so due to his limited number of workout/football attire... combined with his high propensity towards sweating... he is constantly needing to wash his clothes... but recently.. between his everyday clothes and workout clothes.... things had really begun to stack up.

I... on the other hand... typically wait until I have nothing to wear before I do laundry... and let's just say I had definitely reached this point.

So anyways... in my cleaning frenzy... I spent over three hours cleaning the whole house (contrary to popular belief I can be kinda OCD when I clean... sometimes), organizing my closet... and starting on the obscene amount of laundry that had accumulated between Taylor and I. Notice that I said I had started... I did get a few loads done, but I had to go to work and was exhausted from cleaning all day... so I did what should come as no surprise to anyone that knows me... I left it.

And to my shame.... I left it for a week.

Well I should have known better because I am married to a man who sees something that needs to be done... and does it. The following is the story of our very different thoughts and methods concerning the laundry in our basement:

Let's start off with Shelbi's thought stream while in the basement... before she left the clothing unattended:

"Oh my goodness there is an awful lots of clothes to wash, dry, and fold. But at least they are all sorted and put into their respective color piles. Man we have alot of darks... definitely need to go shopping for some spring clothes. Hmm... half of these shirts and dresses definitely need to do the delicate cycle and then I will air dry them. Mom says air drying makes the clothes last longer.. I don't have the time for that and it makes them so stiff... but the dryer would really not do well with this shirt... Maybe I should consider investing in sending some of them to the dry cleaner. Do you wash colors on hot or cold? I can never remember what temps go with what colors.. I really should just write it down and tape it to the washer.. Hmm.. well I will just keep all of the clothes in the piles and deal with it later......." 

Well ladies and gentlemen... they were not dealt with later. Sooooo.. my hubby decided he would surprise me before I got home from work..... and wash all the clothes... God bless him.

I was very excited when he proudly told me that he had cleaned the kitchen, picked up the living room, and taken care of the laundry. I am such a lucky lady. He said all his clothes were folded and put away and that he had left my basket(s) of clothes in my room/closet.

So I happily went upstairs to fold my clothes. As I began to sift through my baskets... It dawned on me what Taylor doing all the laundry truly meant....


All my delcates had been washed... not on delicate. Also, my whites were no longer white, but had a dingy dark hue added to them. ALL my light clothes were missing that "bright" quality. I also found that some things I owned had accidently got mixed in with the regular laundry... this included one of my favorite WHITE LACE dresses.... RIP.

Due to my lack of completing one of the basic wifely duties, Taylor had in fact used college man survival methods. He had combined all the darks and lights and washed them together. I figure his train of thought went something like this:


Taylor's thought stream while in basement:

"Oh my goodness there are clothes EVERYWHERE. It looks like a bomb went off in here. Why are they all spread out? I should just get this done... Shelbs will appreciate the help. Here.. I will just gather them like this... put them in one massive pile... and throw them in... take me like four loads tops.. there... that's not so bad..." 

 I can't lie.. had to stifle a cry when I saw a few of my items.. but I cannot complain.. I have a man that loves me despite my housekeeping inadequacies. How could I be upset when he was doing what he always does... trying to help me?

 With that said... Let's just say that Taylor is currently freed from any responsibility ever concerning the washing and drying of any type of non athletic clothing.. and he does not mind :)

PS... We spent Easter in my Father's hometown of Gary, Minnesota, visiting my Aunt, Uncle, and friends. We had a blast with everyone! Here are some pics: 










No comments:

Post a Comment