Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sports Ramblings



So I read up on something called a "football (sports) widow". Now I will preface this with the fact that Taylor is very loving and attentive, but it has become something of a joke talking about his love... err obsession with sports.

I was an athlete. I like to compete. Actually, I am fiercely competitive... probably to a fault. But I do not understand watching sports networks all the time. I have tried, but it gets boring so fast. Sometimes I feel like watching football is like watching 4 hours of paint dry. And Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.. really? AND THEN the in between sports shows and commentaries?  Trust me.. I do not really care what high school this player went to... or anything else...

Although, I must say.. I do not mind some of the documentaries talking about the things players overcame to become great. I like that kind of stuff. It is inspirational. It is not dry. What can I say... I have a Blindside shaped soft spot in my heart.

Lately.. one thing I REALLY do not understand... is why in this world... does Superbowl coverage start a week before the superbowl. Seriously... it does.

Case in point: Taylor watches this one show and instead of being indoors for the show.... they were out in the cold. I asked Taylor why they were outside... My misunderstanding came from the fact that there were no games for a week. Taylor informed me that they were where the superbowl would be held.. like outside of the stadium... and they were doing pre-game coverage... A WEEK IN ADVANCE.

Personally... I watch the Superbowl for the commercials... and sometimes I get into the game.. sometimes... well usually if there is a bet going.. like I said.. I am all about winning and anything that gives me the chance to be superior to another.. I am there. Oh and I enjoy things like this:


Goodness. Anyways back to the football widow stuff. I thought I would share some examples of widowhood:

Example (A)- Last year I spent an entire Christmas break watching Bowl games. (And a whole day watching ALL the Lord of the Rings: Extended Versions... but due to my ability to sleep at any moment that was tolerable for a day).  Anyways.. yes you read that right... we watched.. I think.. every bowl game that holiday season.. which means we may have watched... like 35 games in that short period.

Sidenote: I must say this year...  Happy day for me.. Because this year we had wedding and honeymoon during bowl season... and no TV in our hotel room. Score 1 for Shelbi.

Example (B)- As soon as we moved into our new house.. Taylor was stoked because he could keep the hideous green bay packer BEAN BAG... in my pretty living room. Just because there was room.

 Example (B)- Sometimes when we are sitting on the couch Taylor gives me side kisses. Like he moves only his lips to the side to kiss me. Funny right? That is what I thought. I would tease him about these side kisses. Wondering... why do you kiss like that sometimes?

Well folks.. the joke is on me. 

One day we were laying on the couch, and I went in for a kiss. Lo and behold.. I get a side kiss.

That is when I realized what really had been going down.

TAYLOR SIDE KISSES SO THAT HE CAN STILL SEE THE TV.... and yet still appease me.

I immediately called him out on it. "O my gosh.. you side kiss so you can watch sports and deal with me at the same time!" Response: A roar of laughter. I do not even know if he really realized he was giving me kisses.

I should be upset... but I have to admit.. I joined in that laughter. Besides.. I am not the one scrunching my face to do the stupid side kiss.

Example (C)- Now that I have caught Taylor on this side kiss stuff... If I want a kiss.. I go all for it.

On this occasion, I had not been feeling well all day due to the side effects of some medicine I was taking.

(Sidenote: I think all drugs should give you a happy feeling. They cost enough so why not throw some happy making ingredients in there.... side affects should not exist... or rather be covered.. with modern medicine.)

Anyways, I was in my sleepy... needy.. you should cuddle me all the time xoxo pathetic not feeling well mode. Taylor was watching... yes.. you guessed it.. his usual sports shows. And what did he say when I blocked his view of the tv by my neediness......

Taylor: "No no... you will get me sick."

Uhhh last time I checked side affects are not contagious

Me: "It is just my medicine babe... I told you that..."

Taylor: (Without taking eyes from TV and peering around me) "Ya... but you don't know that.. you could be getting sick... and then I could get sick... we just don't know."

Me: "Yes... and this also could be morning sickness and I could be pregnant."

(Noo... I am not prego.. nor planning to be.. I just threw it out there cause it was the first thing that came to my mind. Hold off on the judgement... we all think without speaking)

Now... you may judge:

Taylor: (Without batting a eye)- " oh well... I don't want to catch being... um... pregnant"

And as soon as he said it... he realized what he said and just looked at me with a big smile...

....then the laughter started again.

Yes... He actually said this... His sports induced coma still amazes me.

 Man Translation of the above-- Please please leave me alone to watch my sports programs

Let me just say...even though during football season Saturday Sunday and Monday are days we must rush home because heaven forbid we miss games.... and even though my future holds a lot of football during Thanksgiving and Christmas... and even though I don't understand the useless information that Taylor and his buddies can quote about all and any sport... I will survive... and I am starting to .. uh.. enjoy the camaraderie that being obsessed with sports brings.

 It seems.. upon research that this is a legitimate problem in a lot of marriages. There are even support groups! They are not men bashing.. mostly just trying to tell women to find things they enjoy doing for themselves.

Luckily... I have a lot of things I love, and I do not mind sitting and reading while Taylor watches. Or dressing up to support his team.. even if they lose the first round of playoffs after being almost undefeated and having won the superbowl the previous year hahahaha

FYI: I may have a cruel sense of humor. 

Anyways.. luckily... these differences of entertainment bring a lot of laughter between us.


And luckily... annoying Taylor and smothering him while he watches sports is probably one of my favorite things to do :)



1 comment: